Eleanore P. Merideth
Eleanore P. Merideth passed away December 19, 2018 at the Nevada State Veterans Home in Boulder City, Nevada. She was 92 years old.
Born to John M. Hubof and Kathryn Koppinger Hubof on July 21, 1926 on a farm near Regent, North Dakota, Eleanore was one of nine siblings.
She was married in April 1946 in Coeur d’ Alene, Idaho to Edward W. Merideth, a career Navy serviceman whom she met at the Farragut Navy Training Station, Idaho.
She was preceded in death by her beloved husband Edward in 1994 of Twentynine Palms, stepson Glenn E. Merideth in 1996 in New Jersey, brothers John Hubof of Coeur d’ Alene, Idaho; Frank Hubof of Post Falls, Idaho; Russell Hedge of Post Falls, Idaho; sisters Rose Rohr of Bismarck, North Dakota, Agnes E. Smith of Post Falls, Idaho; Darlene Ledgering of Post Falls, Idaho; brothers-in-law Edgar Rohr of Bismarck, North Dakota; Arvel Smith of Post Falls, Idaho and Keith G. Morrow of Carson City, Nevada; and sisters-in-law Melvina Hubof of Coeur d’ Alene, Idaho and Thelma Hubof of Post Falls, Idaho.
Eleanore is survived by her loving author-historian son Lee W. Merideth of Henderson, Nevada, daughter-in-law Michelle L. Merideth of Henderson, Nevada; brother Merle Hedge of Post Falls, Idaho, sister Mert Roske, Pasco, Washington, sister-in-law Donna J. Morrow of Salt Lake City, Utah; and brother-in-law Robert Roske, Pasco, Washington and many cousins, nieces and nephews.
She celebrated her first wedding anniversary in 1947 in Adak, Alaska and then in March 1948 flew on a MARS aircraft from San Francisco to Guam to meet up with her husband. Seven months pregnant and the only woman on board, in January 1949 she sailed on a troopship from Guam back to Seattle, Washington.
A 66-year resident of California, she and her husband Ed and son Lee homesteaded a lot in Twentynine Palms in 1958, hand-built their own home and eventually settled there after moving form Lompoc, California in 1975. Husband Edward worked at the Marine Corps Base prior to retiring in 1984. After he passed away in 1994, Eleanore remained at their home prior to selling it in 1998 and making a temporary move to Joshua Tree and finally in 2008 she moved to Yucca Valley.
For many years Eleanore was heavily involved in several local organizations: she was the President of the Twentynine Palms Emblem Club and a member of the Yucca Valley Emblem Club. She was the Worthy Matron of the Twentynine Palms Chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star in 1993 and held the same position in the Yucca Valley Chapter in 1999. Eleanore was a long-time member of the Desert Hills Presbyterian Church in Yucca Valley and served as a Deacon for six years, belonging to the Presbyterian Woman’s Club as a moderator, the Drifters and the Church choir. With what little available time she had left, she volunteered at the High Desert Medical Center in Joshua Tree and the Joshua Tree Playhouse.